Wednesday, August 23
Pathetic ~
I would have to blame the building manager for the events of today.
The guys came in and started working in the kids room first.  Which ok, thanks for that cuz they need their room back sooner than later. Even though we have to wait to move things back until they seal the floors, it was a start. So they went from the boys room to the hallway. In the hallway they got about three feet done the entire day and that was it.  THREE FEET.  Now I'm not someone that can claim they've ever laid any boards down before, but I have seen some of it done on the home shows and if they can get it done within two days I would have thought these guys could too, but then the truth of the matter is.  These guys aren't professionals. They don't have the correct tools or the right amount of experience to do this smoothly and timely.
GOD how I wish I had my own  home to do these things for myself.  Then if it did take a week to do as is turning out the case here, then I would only have myself to blame.  But this is a rental with a building manager for fuck sakes.
We complained to the manager, when he came to survey the progress.
Face to face, the hubby and I with the manager.
He says how the floors should be done by Thursday.
I said loudly and a strong voice, THURSDAY, why Thursday, this is Tuesday and it shouldn't take that long to do the amount of work that they have to do.  I've seen this get done within two days time, three the most.
manager says, well these guys aren't that experienced with doing the floors.
I said (strong voice used), then why didn't you have the guys that tore up the floor yesterday lay the boards.
manager says, they are only carpenters really, they don't usually do this part.  But I do have the guys that usually do the sanding and such for the floors that I can call and have them come and help the guys tomorrow.
I said, yes do that, cuz this is a safety hazard, we have the kids and we're tripping over this stuff. (meaning the good floor that is about an inch and a half raised about the plywood floor.)
manager says, I'll come by and see how much these guys get done and we'll make sure they have help tomorrow.
I said, yes please.  Thank you.
manager leaves.
Two maintenance guys get about three feet of work done in the hallway and leave at 3:45pm.  So much for an 8 hour work day!
In fact, adding up all their breaks and lunch (which we wrote down each time they came and went), they actually worked a total of 4 hours and 55 minutes.  If you want to add an hour to the time they spent going to the lumber store (5 minutes away) to pick up a piece of plywood and paper for the floors, then you can make it 5 hours and 55 minutes.

Today they showed up, strolling along casually smoking cigs, as I was walking out with Glen to take him to his class in Day Care.  8:55am.
Hubby sees them and asks, where's your extra help?
men say what help?
hubby says, manager promised you'd have  help today to get the floors done.
men look at my husband and scoff, we haven't spoken to the manager in two days.
hubby pics up the phone and makes a phone call to the manager asking for an explanation and where the extra crew is.
manager makes the excuses up, called some people and they are too busy to send anyone over today, he'll try for tomorrow. 
Hubby used his loud and strong voice which he doesn't like to use; he says that's my job; and told the manager that our 3 year old tripped on the floorboards they left sticking out last night and now the kid has a bruise and a small cut cuz of it. and that the guys only got up to the bathroom done yesterday, that he needed to find someone to finish the job. 
manager said he'd be by around lunchtime to view the status of the job.

Manager shows up around 1 to let us know that his "pro" would be by tomorrow to finish the job first thing in the morning and that he'd have it done in the morning.  the maintenance guys here now would be able to finish the hallway and then all that would be left is the dining area.
I  gave him the hate glare and hubby looked at me and all we could say was fine and walked away.

I looked up the rental laws in the state of nj and from what I read, as long as he's working on it and not blowing us off, he's within his legal boundaries.  He's verbally stated that he would compensate for the A/C for the days his guys work.  Which is good since we had it turned off for their work and coming in and out of the house.  But they whine to the manager and the manager called and asked us to turn it on for them.
Seems to me if they wanted a job where A/C was involved they should have gotten one other than maintenance.  But, we turned on the A/C and the manager WILL GET a copy of the bill with my itemized figures for the days the guys worked here and needed the A/C on.
he's already getting a printout of the times the guys took extended breaks throughout the day.  along with the total of hours spent doing this and that.
Hubby mentioned something about the guys going on break so long and the manager mentioned that they are allow breaks by law or something to that affect.  I told my hubby afterward that was true, but the fact that they take an hour lunch constitutes their two 15 minute breaks.
you see by law, you are supposed to have a half hour lunch and two 15's.  But if you are given an hour lunch you are using that all up in one shot.  Any breaks beyond that point is up to the discretion of the boss.
And that's ok, but when the employee abuses that privilege, then it SHOULD be an issue.
Besides, I used to smoke and I took those same breaks and I timed myself one day, each break, taking my time smoking a regular Marlboro and it took my 8 minutes for each cig.  Not 20 minutes like these guys do.
So as it stands at the moment, they maintenance guys are working and finishing up the hallway.  A 2-3 day project will be a 4 -5 day project.  Not to mention the fact they need to put down the sealant after they are done with installation.  Which means a night or two at the local hotel cuz of the smell of the stuff.
Which better be reimbursed or I'll just remove it from the rent and they'll have to take me to court to get it back.
OK, I think I'm done ranting at the moment.  Will post pics later when they are done at 3:45pm.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home



Come visit us for all your gifts and collectible needs.